Become a Support Group Facilitator
Volunteers make a valuable contribution to The Children’s Room!
The Children’s Room wouldn’t exist without volunteers. We have more than 60 volunteer group facilitators whose time and energy makes a lasting difference in the lives of grieving children, teens, and adults. Volunteer facilitators’ caring presence and willingness to be with the children and families in the midst of their grief is the cornerstone of the support we offer at The Children’s Room.
With the guidance and supervision of our professional staff, trained volunteer facilitators are valued and integral members of our bi-weekly family peer support groups, serving children, teens, and families. We offer two trainings each year for those interested in working with children and families as a group facilitator.
Time CommitmentOur support groups take place in our house in Arlington. Families and volunteers are assigned to a specific group. Groups meet every other week on Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday evenings or Sunday afternoons. We ask that volunteers make a one-year commitment of 3.5 hours (5:30 to 9:00 pm or 2:00 to 5:30 pm) every other week. Groups do not meet during the summer.
A 35-hour training program (with course fee) is required of everyone considering becoming a volunteer facilitator. We hold two trainings a year, in January & September.
The training is followed by an individual placement interview. Sending in an application does not guarantee a spot in the training. Placements, if offered, will be made after considering schedules and the volunteer needs in the groups. NOTE: Completion of training is not a guarantee that you will be accepted as a facilitator.
Is Attendance Required?
For volunteers interested in facilitating a group, attending all six sessions (35 hours) of a training is mandatory.
Trainings occur in September & January:
September 2020 Training
We are still finalizing our calendar for September 2020. Please check back soon for the next training schedule or email [email protected] with any questions.
Application To Volunteer
We Need Volunteers with Diverse Experiences
It is important that our volunteers reflect the diversity of the children and families we serve, so we are especially interested in attracting a diverse volunteer population.
Important Applicant Information
Please carefully consider the following points before applying for the training:
- Our Volunteer Facilitator Training is for those volunteers who intend to be a support group facilitator at The Children’s Room for at least one year.
- If you have experienced the death of a significant person in your life within the last year, we ask you to discuss this with us before applying, since this training can be an intense experience for newly bereaved persons.
- You will need to attend all six sessions (35hrs) of the training.
Before working in a group.
- Following training you will need to complete a Massachusetts “Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI)” form.
- There is a $150 fee for the training; a $25 non-refundable deposit is required with your completed application to confirm registration. Please contact email@example.com if this fee is a deterrent to your participation.
- We accept applications on a rolling basis. Please note: sending in an application does not guarantee a spot in the training.
To apply, download and print the Volunteer Facilitator Training Application. Mail your completed application, with your $25 non-refundable deposit, to:
The Children’s Room, 1210 Massachusetts Ave, Arlington, MA 02476